Speaking of Success!
by Philip E. Humbert, PhD, www.philiphumbert.com
I recently had a chance to interview several groups of extremely successful people. A handful are famous athletes, several are nationally known artists, writers or politicians, and all are multi-millionaires. I asked them for the keys, or essential factors that allowed them to accomplish so much more than the rest of us. Their answers included a wide variety of specifics, but to an astonishing degree, 7 items came up in every discussion. I’ve called them the "Seven Sisters of Success", and want to share them with you.
- Self-awareness The first thing that struck me about these men and women was the degree to which they understood themselves. They know their values and goals, and are comfortable with the choices they have made in life. They admitted some regrets and mistakes, but they have made peace with the past and are eager, confident and optimistic about the future.
- Specific Goals Every single one of these 26 people have written goals, ranging from 30-day projects to 10 year programs. I was impressed that their goals are IN WRITING. Athletes had performance targets, and the business leaders had sales goals. They all had family or personal goals that were just as detailed as their professional objectives. The advice we have all heard about writing down your goals really works!
- Powerful Networks.
In the quest to attract customers and make more sales, the temptation is to focus on the Internet. It’s easy to forget there are other tools that are less tedious, easier to use, and even more effective.
For example, simply telling people what we do and how it benefits them is the most profound marketing "secret" ever invented. And, the opportunities to talk to people are unlimited!
Consider that every service organization (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) needs a speaker every week! This creates thousands of opportunities to do someone a favor and tell your story! The potential is huge!
Now, the fear of public speaking is wide-spread, but at the same time, the opportunities are so compelling that no business person can afford to ignore them.
Here are just some of the keys to successfully marketing yourself in front of an audience:
- It clarifies your marketing message. Speaking to a live audience forces you to be very precise about what you do and why people should buy from you. This sharpens all of your other advertising and marketing efforts as well.
- It gives access to your most targeted audience. You get to choose business leaders, personal development audiences, or church groups. You decide who your best audience is, then volunteer to talk to them. It’s a gold mine!
- The potential for "viral marketing" is unlimited. It’s not unusual for me to speak to 50 people at lunch, And get a 100 new subscribers within hours. Each person goes away with an idea, they get curious to learn more, they visit my website, and bingo! I get a new subscriber and endless opportunities for opt-in marketing.
- It’s creative! My audiences become my "R&D; Team", and many of my best ideas for new products and services come from the comments of people in the audience. Let them teach you how to build your business and achieve your dreams!
- It can make you money. Many organizations will pay for a great speaker. Imagine getting paid to advertise! You show up, talk about the benefits of your services, and they pay you for it! This is a good thing!
How do you get started? Here are some concrete steps that have produced great results for me.
First, volunteer where you already are. Do you belong to a group or organization? Tell them you are willing to share your success and your wisdom. Volunteer and you’ll be amazed at how grateful most groups are.
Second, think about your most desired audience. Workshops at the local community college are always in demand, as are personal development, sales or leadership development topics.
Third, just get out and do it! You won’t be an expert at first, but you’ll be "good enough" and you will improve with practice. You will start enjoying it, and the opportunities and profits will multiply. Go for it!
Need more encouragement? Here are two books to help you get started:
"Marketing with Speeches and Seminars", by Miriam Ott, is a wonderful little book, full of practical wisdom, short-cuts, tips and tricks for success with your very first presentation. Easy to read, and easy to use. Here’s the link to get it at Amazon.com: Click "Speak and Grow Rich", by Dottie Walters, is another gem. Solid advice and tons of help to get you started. This stuff works! Here’s the link: ClickWhether your goal is to build a network marketing organization, increase your Real Estate exposure, sell your book, or market widgets, telling people your story always helps. It’s fun, they always thank you, and they always remember and appreciate you. Get in front of folks! Tell your story! As Dottie says, "Speak and grow rich!" Trust me, the opportunities are endless and the potential is unlimited. Just do it. © by Philip E. Humbert, PhD. All rights reserved. Visit Dr Humbert’s website for over 250 pages of articles, Top 10 lists, humor, quotes, tips and tools for your success! There’s a free book on making (and keeping!) more money, a FREE motivational newsletter, and "FREE SPEECH" - a resource you’ll want to know about!
~ Email ~ ~ Web Site ~
~ Advertise ~ E-Market ~ Contact Info ~ Site Map ~ Home ~