Developing your Leadership Skills
by Cecile Peterkin, Cosmic Coaching Centre
- Which skills do I have that are being called upon?
- What do I have to offer?
Leadership = Influence It is the art or process of influencing people so that they will strive willingly and enthusiastically. As human beings, we all influence someone: parent to child, teacher to student, friend to friend, employer to employee, and coach to athlete. If you stop to think about it, the list is endless. Since we are all capable of influencing others, we all have the potential to be leaders. A leader is not necessarily the person at the head of the table or the one with the title. The next time you are in a meeting or a social function, see how quickly you can tell who the real leader is: it is the person others naturally watch, listen to, gravitate towards, and follow. Leadership is more than a position. Leadership is a skill. Because we all have areas in which we excel, from time to time we are all thrust into leadership roles. While these opportunities may seem uncomfortable at first, ask yourself a few important questions.
1. Perceived as positive and trustworthy
2. Clear values that they live by
3. Communicates directly
4. Forms intense one-on-one relationships
5. Sees themselves as a constantly evolving human being, focusing more inward than outward
6. Intuitive -- understanding of what needs to be done
7. Finds self-esteem through self-reliance and personal expression
8. Courageous -- does not balk at obstacles or become bewildered in the presence of adversity
9. Empathetic -- appreciates and understands others’ values
10. Decisive -- knows when to act, and when not to
11. Accountable for personal actions
14. Exhibits stewardship
Contact Cecile directly at cecile @ cosmiccoachingcentre.com or call 416 486 4112.